My favorite place

>> Monday, June 1, 2009

Ever have an epiphany? Well I did this past Saturday when Heidi and I were making a mad dash across the Charlotte, NC airport from terminal E to terminal B to catch our flight home to Phoenix. Don't let the airport maps in the back of the inflight magazine fool you, that is pretty far. That wasn't exactly my epiphany, as I rather had a small idea exactly just how far it was.

My epiphany came to me as we rounded the corner to terminal B and I glanced up at the gates and saw the destinations listed. Gate B-2 was headed to St. Thomas. Gate B-4 was headed to Jamaica. Gate B-8 was headed to Miami. Well you get the idea...

At that very moment, I realized that my favorite place is the airport! Now I know what your thinking, that wet damp feeling that soaks your socks when you take off your shoes just prior to getting that cavity search at the security check point isn't the greatest feeling on earth. Nor is the smell of the rotten feet from the guy in front of you that is invasively permeating your nostrils, the most enticing of odors. Or that knot that forms in your stomach when you walk through the metal detector wondering if your new belt will set it off. But if you get past that part of the journey, and realize that the airport provides an opportunity to go just about anywhere, well that is pretty liberating.

The airport is a portal to an adventure not to mention a pretty great place to people watch too!

0 comments: